It’s time! Join us!
We are in an ecological crisis caused by climate change, pollution and habitat destruction; a mass species extinction on a scale much larger than the one which killed the dinosaurs is underway. Our course is set to societal collapse, the killing of millions, likely billions of people – human extinction is possible. The future is bleak and our children are not safe.
Change to avert the worst of the disaster is still technically and economically possible. The changes won’t be simple but there is nothing more important or worthwhile. It involves creating a world which is less frenetic and more beautiful; making the necessary changes will also create jobs. This is an emergency situation – action is urgent.
Our Government isn’t acting in accordance with what science and history tells us. Therefore our Government is criminally negligent. We have a moral duty to rebel, whatever our politics. Social science shows us that peaceful civil disobedience is an effective way to bring about change. Our lives have meaning and purpose when we follow our conscience and are willing to make sacrifices to protect what we love. We ask others who feel the same way to join our peaceful Rebellion.
- That the Government must tell the truth about how deadly our situation is, it must reverse all policies not in alignment with that position and must work alongside the media to communicate the urgency for change including what individuals, communities and businesses need to do.
- Good intentions and guidelines won’t save the ice caps. The Government must enact legally-binding policies to reduce carbon emissions in Canada to net zero by 2025 and take further action to remove the excess of atmospheric greenhouse gases. It must cooperate internationally so that the global economy runs on no more than half a planet’s worth of resources per year.
- By necessity these demands require initiatives and mobilization of similar size and scope to those enacted in times of war. We do not however, trust our Government to make the bold, swift and long-term changes necessary to achieve this and we do not intend to hand further power to our politicians. Instead we demand a Citizens’ Assembly to oversee the changes, as we rise from the wreckage, creating a democracy fit for purpose.
Steps to get involved
- Attend a talk: “Heading for Extinction and what to do about it” (see upcoming events here)
- Go to a Non-Violent Direct Action (NVDA) training and join an affinity group locally
- Learn more at a “What’s the Deal with Prison?” workshop
- Arrive in London on November 11th, ready to join the week of mass civil disobedience on November 12th…
- Watch the talk online
- Attend a Training Day on either November 10th (Saturday) or 11th (Sunday) – includes NVDA, Affinity Group speed-dating, Legal, and ‘Prison’ trainings!
- Join the week of mass civil disobedience on November 12th…
…AND… we are taking steps to organize here! 🙂
WHO WE ARE
We are you! You are so welcome to join us and participate, you don’t need our permission, if you agree to follow our principles and values.
We need to take action in the world and we need to look after ourselves. This rebellion is fuelled by our love, which is growing because we are willing to face the grief of these times. Grieving is part of our work. There are groups for connection and support for Extinction Rebellion Sisterhood, Brotherhood, Elders, Young People, Muslims, Volunteers, Families with Young Children and groups springing up across the UK. Here’s a list of resources that may help.
PRINCIPLES & VALUES
- WE HAVE A SHARED VISION OF CHANGE Creating a world that is fit for the next 7 generations to live in.
- WE SET OUR MISSION ON WHAT IS NECESSARY Mobilizing 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – such as “Momentum-driven organizing” to achieve this.
- WE NEED A REGENERATIVE CULTURE Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- WE OPENLY CHALLENGE OURSELVES AND THIS TOXIC SYSTEM Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- WE VALUE REFLECTING AND LEARNING Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- WE WELCOME EVERYONE AND EVERY PART OF EVERYONE Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- WE ACTIVELY MITIGATE FOR POWER Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation
- WE AVOID BLAMING AND SHAMING We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- WE ARE A NON-VIOLENT NETWORK Using nonviolent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- WE ARE BASED ON AUTONOMY AND DECENTRALISATION We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of RisingUp!
Pledge of Rebellion–we demand concrete action on the ecological crisis
Therefore we the undersigned declare our support for the Extinction Rebellion, launching this October 31st. We stand behind the demands for the Government to tell the hard truth to its citizens and to come up with a credible plan for a rapid decarbonisation of our economy. To enable a Citizens Assembly to oversee this.
RisingUp! takes data security very seriously. Rising Up holds emails of known supporters and other data given on forms in meetings. This supporter data is only used to send newsletters or similar communications. Those who have provided their phone number and expressed an interest in being involved may also be telephoned. Under data protection regulations, these emails are sent to you because RisingUp! has a “legitimate interest” in keeping supporters informed.
The data is held securely in trusted databases of well known software providers. Supporter data is not accessible to any other people other than the outreach and communications team and is not used for any other purpose than sending emails. It is never shared with any other organisation. Supporters can unsubscribe at any time they wish. RisingUp! deletes records of those who have unsubscribed.